Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Speaking like a true Irish gal

Though my month-long stay in Ireland is coming to an end, I am leaving with a greater knowledge about Irish history and culture, as well as with many wonderful memories. I’ve learned plenty about the Easter Rising in 1916, the famous authors who have contributed so much to the literary world, such as James Joyce and Oscar Wilde, and even the words to Irish folksongs like The Wild Rover and Cockles and Mussels. But what I find the most interesting is the way I’ve even started to speak like the Irish speak.

In everyday conversations I’ve started calling french fries, chips and the restroom, the toilet. I’ve picked up on common phrases like “How was the craic last night?” and “We need to catch a joe maxi!” (Translated into: “Was last night fun?” and “We need to catch a taxi!”)

Now, I wasn’t sure if I was the only one who was beginning to talk like a true Irish gal, so I decided to ask around and see if any other Americans had noticed a difference. I talked to a friendly group of girls at the international barbecue held at University College Dublin’s Global Lounge. Emily, Sarah, Erin and Sam attend James Madison University in Virginia and are taking two courses at UCD this summer.

Here’s what they said when I asked them if they had heard any Irish people using different words in everyday conversations, and if they had started to use any of these phrases themselves.

(Video credit: Sapna Patel)

So I guess if you’re away from home for long enough, you start to blend yourself with your surrounding culture. The girls from Virginia may only be ending their sentences with “yeh” right now, but soon enough, they might be saying “How was the craic last night?”

No comments:

Post a Comment